How to RideMICRO
The new, flexible service connects portion of Brunswick, Pender, and New Hanover Counties. Passengers can book an on-demand ride from a virtual stop within a RideMICRO ‘zone’ and be connected to Wave Transit’s fixed-route service or brought to their destination.
RideMICRO, is a point-to-point service available to anyone traveling within the designated service network!
This new transportation offering provides greater flexibility, decreased wait times, and increased stop locations than a traditional fixed-route bus.
Book. Pay. Ride.
Hours of Operation:
BEGINNING SUNDAY, JULY 3:
Zones 1 & 2
AM – 6:30am to 10:00am
PM – 12:00pm to 7:00pm
Zones 3 & 4
Weekdays: 6:00am – 8:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Sunday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
For current hours, please book your ride in the RideMICRO app or call us toll-free: 1-844-764-1223
Schedule your ride:
Pay for your Ride:
Option 1: Pay using a debit or credit card inside the app
Option 2: Pay with exact change upon boarding
Option 3: Purchase a ticket from Forden Station or Padgett Station
The RideMICRO app:
- Suggests the most efficient routes: Once you launch the RideMICRO app and input your destination, it will display the most convenient public and shared transportation routes
- Enables you to book and pay for a RideMICRO on-demand ride: You simply select ‘Transit On-Demand’ and follow the prompts for mobile payment
- Directs you to a nearby pickup location: Once the ride is booked, you are guided to a virtual pickup location within a short walking distance
- Provides you with real-time tracking: While waiting for their ride, RideMICRO users can track the approaching vehicle in real-time and view its ETA.
While riding, you can view the route on the map, as well as the estimated time to drop off
- Enables future ride booking: Rides can be booked up to a week in advance
- Available on Google Play and the App Store
Explore our new service area and find your virtual stop
Frequently Asked Questions
What is RideMICRO
RideMICRO is a Wave Transit microtransit service. Microtransit is an alternative transportation offering that resembles a rideshare or carpool rather than a fixed-route bus. Microtransit programs typically operate with cars, vans or shuttles and offer greater flexibility for people on-the-go. RideMICRO is an on-demand, point-to-point service open to anyone travelling within the defined service area. The service is wheelchair accessible with no restrictions on trip purpose.
Where can I RideMICRO?
To more than 3,000 virtual stops in Brunswick, New Hanover, and Pender Counties!
There are four RideMICRO transportation ‘zones’ in Brunswick, New Hanover, and Pender Counties. We reach as far north as Hampstead and as South as the Fort Fisher Ferry Terminal! Please view our interactive map to see all available stops.
How do I schedule a ride?
Passengers can book a ride through the RideMICRO app, available on Google Play and the App Store, by using the online form, or by calling the toll-free number and speaking with a RideMICRO dispatcher.
Toll-Free Number: 1-844-764-1223
Use the Online Form
If you book your ride by phone or the online form, a call center representative will contact you between the hours of 7:00 am to 10:00 am & 12:00 pm to 7:30 pm to confirm your reservation. Reservations must be made no less than one hour prior to your trip and can be made up to one week in advance of your trip. Advanced reservations are recommended and reoccurring trips can be scheduled in the system.
You have the option to schedule your ride one week in advance or up to one hour before your trip; however, advance reservation is encouraged. Last minute reservations may not be accepted.
How much does it cost?
All RideMICRO trips are $2. Passengers can pay for their trip in the RideMICRO App using a debit or credit card, purchase a pass ahead of time at a Wave Transit transfer station, or purchase a mobile ticket online. Mobile ticketing is a convenient option for people on-the-go. Tickets can be purchased online HERE.
Passes are available for purchase at Forden Station, Located at 505 Cando St., Wilmington, NC 28405; and Padgett Station, located at 520 N 3rd St, Wilmington, NC 28401; Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm.
No Reduced Fare pricing is available for RideMICRO.
What are the hours of operation?
Monday – Friday
7:00 am to 10:00 am & 12:00 pm to 7:30 pm.
Hours of operation will gradually expand to reflect the Wave Transit hours of operation, as will service areas and stops. Updates to the schedule will be announced on this page.
What COVID safety measures are in place?
Riders are encouraged to wear masks while using public transportation.
All RideMICRO vehicles are cleaned, fueled and checked as part of standard daily operations. In response to COVID-19, additional safety protocol are in place including:
- spraying and wiping all bus areas with commercial disinfecting spray;
- spraying and wiping door handles, all areas and surfaces throughout transit van multiple times a day with commercial disinfecting spray;
- providing hand sanitizer for operators and customers
How will I know when my ride is on the way? Can I track it?
Download the RideMICRO app to track your ride! App users will be able to watch their vehicle as it drives to meet them and are given an estimated time of arrival.
Can I bring my child?
Yes, you may bring your child. Please indicate in your reservation that you will be traveling with a child.
Children 4 years old and younger travel free with a fare paying adult – up to 3 fare-free children per fare paying adult.
Customers traveling with a child who needs a car seat must provide their own approved car seat or booster seat. The customer must install the car seat and remove it from the vehicle at the end of their trip. RideMICRO operators are not permitted to touch or install car seats.
Please refer to car seat guidance from the Department of Transportation:
- Children younger than age 8 and who weigh less than 80 pounds must be properly secured in a child restraint or booster seat.
- Children less than age 5 and less than 40 pounds must be in the rear seat if the vehicle has an active passenger-side front air bag and a rear seat.
- When a child reaches age 8 (regardless of weight) or 80 pounds (regardless of age), a correctly fitted seat belt may be used instead of a child restraint or booster seat. Placing the shoulder belt under the arm or behind the back is both illegal and unsafe.
- Booster seats must not be used with just a lap belt, so lap-only seat belts can be used for children over 40 pounds if no lap and shoulder seat belt is available
What are the rules and regulations?
The same regulations apply for Wilmington Regional Microtransit as they do for the buses and shuttles; these include but are not limited to the following: no eating or drinking, no open containers of alcohol, no smoking or vaping, no weapons, no pets, and all passengers and operators must properly wear a mask that covers their nose and mouth.