Wilmington Multimodal Transportation Center / Downtown Transfer Station
Located at 520 North 3rd St., the Downtown Transfer Center, Padgett Station, is the first phase of a larger multimodal transportation project. Effective Saturday, January 18, 2020, Padgett Station opened and permanently replaced the Authority’s Downtown Transfer Station located at 2nd Street and Princess Street. The upgraded amenities at Padgett Station offer customers and visitors a safer, more convenient, and more accessible experience when utilizing public transportation services. The project was a collaborative effort between the City of Wilmington, the Wilmington Metropolitan Planning Organization (WMPO), and the Cape Fear Public Transportation Authority (Wave Transit).
Operating hours for Padgett Station are as follows:
- Weekdays from 6:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Weekends from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Our commitment to sustainable building practices is reflected in the Wilmington Multimodal Transfer Center (WMMTC)/Padgett Station. The integrity of the historic Neuwirth building remains intact through adaptive reuse. The photo slideshow below provides some highlights of the construction process.
Project Plans and Studies
Several reports have been commissioned for the project (click on the study to download):
- The Wilmington Urban Area Multi-Modal Transportation Center Feasibility Study (2000)
- Wilmington Multi-Modal Transportation Center Site Evaluation Report (2004)
- Transit Needs Study for the Wilmington Multimodal Transportation Center (2009)
- Wilmington, NC Train Station Master Plan and Conceptual Design (2010)